UMBEL - Annex B
UMBEL Annex Document - 10 May 2016
- Latest version
- Last update
- $Date: 2016/5/10 9:22:47 $
- Version No.: 1.50
- TR 16-5-10-B
- Michael Bergman - Structured Dynamics
- Frédérick Giasson - Structured Dynamics
|UMBEL: Upper Mapping and Binding Exchange Layer by Structured Dynamics LLC is provided under the
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. See the attribution section for how to cite the effort.
RefConcept) has replaced the notion of 'Subject Concept' (
SubjectConcept). Historical documentation may still use the older term and some use is kept in current documentation for continuity reasons. Please treat the two terms as synonomous.
- Version 1.50 - May 10, 2016 (CURRENT VERSION)
- Version 1.20 - April 20, 2015
- Version 1.10 - September 9, 2014
- Version 1.05 - May 21, 2012
- Version 1.00 - February 10, 2011
- Version 0.80 - November 15, 2010
- Version 0.72 - August 21, 2009
- Version 0.71 - September 3, 2008
- Version 0.70 - July 16, 2008 (first public release)
Note that some interim versions between version 1.00 and 1.05 were deemed inadequate for public release.
The UMBEL Specification is updated each release; the annexes have this release history:
- Annex A: Listing of Linked External Ontologies - updated as required
- Annex B: Historical UMBEL Documentation - updated each release
- Annex C: Best Practices using UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex D: Inferencing with UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex E: Using UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex F: Mapping with UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex G: UMBEL SuperTypes Documentation - version 1.00; significant update, version 1.50
- Annex H: Version 1.00 Changes - version 1.00
- Annex I: schema.org Mapping - version 1.05
- Annex J: Geo Module and GeoNames Mapping - version 1.05
- Annex K: UMBEL Generator - version 1.10
- Annex L: Attributes Ontology and Version 1.20 - version 1.20; retired version 1.50
- Annex Z: Current UMBEL Statistics - version 1.20; updated each release.
The Specification also provides a running changelog of changes per version.
UMBEL v. 1.50
Significant changes were made to the
SuperTypes organization (see Annex G). With these ST enhancements, prior efforts to modularize the system were ended. Automated build routines were substantially enhanced; building the system now requires them.
UMBEL v. 1.20
An Attributes Ontology was added to the system, plus many other structural enhancements and cleanup, including the addition of The Entities and Attributes SuperTypes and modules. See Annex L.
UMBEL v. 1.10
A progammatic way to build the UMBEL ontology using the Annex K: UMBEL Generator was added to the project. This reulted in much clean up and satisfiability of the system.
UMBEL v. 1.05
UMBEL v. 1.00
Significant changes occurred in the transition to version 1.00. The extent of these changes was such as to warrant the creation of a separate annex to describe them. See Annex H: Version 1.00 Changes.
UMBEL v. 0.72 and Prior
Early versions of UMBEL focused on cleaning and migrating OpenCyc concepts, as well as the original philosophy and design behind the project. These material was summarized and documented across versions 0.70 to 0.72. The last update of this archival information occurred in version 0.71.
This first public release of the UMBEL ontology is documented in two volumes:
- UMBEL Ontology, Vol. 1: Technical Documentation, TR 08-08-28-A1, August 2008; this is the major initial reference documentation
- UMBEL Ontology, Vol. 2: Subject Concepts and Named Entities Instantiation, TR 08-07-16-A2, July 2008; an explanation of the N3 files in the ontology distribution.
Other Technical Documentation
This first UMBEL ontology documentation is accompanied by a three-volume series describing the selection and vetting of UMBEL's (then) 20,000 subject concepts from OpenCyc. These three volumes are:
- Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 1: Overview and Methodology, TR 08-07-16-B1, July 2008; the basic introduction and explanation of terminology and the distillation process
- Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 2: Files Documentation, TR 08-07-16-B2, July 2008; the listing and description of the various files accompanying this process, and
- Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 3: Appendices, TR 08-07-16-B3, July 2008; supporting materials and detailed backup:
- Appendix A: Files Documentation
- Appendix B: Listing Of Abstract Concepts
- Appendix C: Named Entity Assignments
- Appendix D: OpenCyc Scoring Categories
- Appendix E: OpenCyc Categorization Issues
- Appendix F: General Processing Tips
- Appendix G: Cytoscape Use Tips
- Appendix H: UMBEL Web Services.
Files prior to version 1.00 have been moved to archival status. The may be obtained from https://github.com/structureddynamics/UMBEL/releases/tag/older-versions.
Please note that Appendix G in Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 3: Appendices, TR 08-07-16-B3, July 2008, provides installation and use tips for Cytoscape, the open source program used for much of the large-scale UMBEL visualization and analysis. Here is the input file used for this archival analysis:
- umbel_cytoscape_v080.zip – lists all the nodes and arcs to import into Cytoscape to visualize the UMBEL graph as a pre-prepared input file to Cytoscape.