UMBEL - Annex B 20160510
UMBEL Annex Document - 20 April 2015
- Latest version
- Last update
- $Date: 2015/4/20 14:28:36 $
- Version No.: 1.20
- TR 12-5-21-B
- Michael Bergman - Structured Dynamics
- Frédérick Giasson - Structured Dynamics
|UMBEL: Upper Mapping and Binding Exchange Layer by Structured Dynamics LLC is provided under the
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. See the attribution section for how to cite the effort.
RefConcept) has replaced the notion of 'Subject Concept' (
SubjectConcept). Historical documentation may still use the older term and some use is kept in current documentation for continuity reasons. Please treat the two terms as synonomous.
- 1 Versions History
- 2 Version Documentation
- 3 UMBEL v. 1.20
- 4 UMBEL v. 1.10
- 5 UMBEL v. 1.05
- 6 UMBEL v. 1.00
- 7 UMBEL v. 0.72 and Prior
- Version 1.20 - April 20, 2015 (CURRENT VERSION)
- Version 1.10 - September 9, 2014
- Version 1.05 - May 21, 2012
- Version 1.00 - February 10, 2011
- Version 0.80 - November 15, 2010
- Version 0.72 - August 21, 2009
- Version 0.71 - September 3, 2008
- Version 0.70 - July 16, 2008 (first public release)
Note that some interim versions between version 1.00 and 1.05 were deemed inadequate for public release.
The UMBEL Specification is updated each release; the annexes have this release history:
- Annex A: Listing of Linked External Ontologies - updated as required
- Annex B: Historical UMBEL Documentation - updated each release
- Annex C: Best Practices using UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex D: Inferencing with UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex E: Using UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex F: Mapping with UMBEL - pre version 1.00
- Annex G: UMBEL SuperTypes Documentation - version 1.00
- Annex H: Version 1.00 Changes - version 1.00
- Annex I: schema.org Mapping - version 1.05
- Annex J: Geo Module and GeoNames Mapping - version 1.05
- Annex K: UMBEL Generator - version 1.10
- Annex L: Attributes Ontology and Version 1.20 - version 1.20
- Annex Z: Current UMBEL Statistics - version 1.20
The Specification also provides a running changelog of changes per version.
UMBEL v. 1.20
An Attributes Ontology was added to the system, plus many other structural enhancements and cleanup, including the addition of The Entities and Attributes SuperTypes and modules. See Annex L.
UMBEL v. 1.10
A progammatic way to build the UMBEL ontology using the Annex K: UMBEL Generator was added to the project. This reulted in much clean up and satisfiability of the system.
UMBEL v. 1.05
UMBEL v. 1.00
Significant changes occurred in the transition to version 1.00. The extent of these changes was such as to warrant the creation of a separate annex to describe them. See Annex H: Version 1.00 Changes.
UMBEL v. 0.72 and Prior
The UMBEL ontology is documented in two volumes:
- UMBEL Ontology, Vol. 1: Technical Documentation, TR 08-08-28-A1; this is the major reference documentation
- UMBEL Ontology, Vol. 2: Subject Concepts and Named Entities Instantiation, TR 08-07-16-A2, an explanation of the N3 files in the ontology distribution
- umbel.n3 – describes all of the classes and properties created for the UMBEL Ontology; that is, the basic UMBEL vocabulary and formal specification
- umbel_external_ontologies_linkage.n3 – links between UMBEL subject concepts and external ontologies classes
- external ontologies – access to specific external ontologies files linked to UMBEL subject concepts
Named Entities Instances Files
- These files are no longer distributed.
DBpedia Linkage Files
- These files are no longer distributed.
Please note that Appendix G in Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 3: Appendices, TR 08-07-16-B3, provides installation and use tips for Cytoscape, the open source program used for much of the large-scale UMBEL visualization and analysis. Here are the two input files:
- umbel_cytoscape_v072.zip – lists all the nodes and arcs to import into Cytoscape to visualize the UMBEL graph and a pre-prepared input file to Cytoscape.
Other Technical Documentation
The UMBEL ontology documentation is accompanied by a three-volume series describing the selection and vetting of UMBEL's 20,000 subject concepts from OpenCyc. These three volumes are:
- Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 1: Overview and Methodology, TR 08-07-16-B1, the basic introduction and explanation of terminology and the distillation process
- Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 2: Files Documentation, TR 08-07-16-B2, the listing and description of the various files accompanying this process, and
- Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 3: Appendices, TR 08-07-16-B3, supporting materials and detailed backup:
- Appendix A: Files Documentation
- Appendix B: Listing Of Abstract Concepts
- Appendix C: Named Entity Assignments
- Appendix D: OpenCyc Scoring Categories
- Appendix E: OpenCyc Categorization Issues
- Appendix F: General Processing Tips
- Appendix G: Cytoscape Use Tips
- Appendix H: UMBEL Web Services.
The two key volumes for explanation of the initial UMBEL project and build process are UMBEL Ontology, Vol. 1: Technical Documentation and Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 1: Overview and Methodology.
The two complete references to all archived files and access procedures in the UMBEL project prior to version 0.72 are UMBEL Ontology, Vol. 2: Subject Concepts and Named Entities Instantiation and Distilling Subject Concepts from OpenCyc, Vol. 2: Files Documentation.